Saturday, April 19, 2008

That's Some Good Italian Food, Baby

I just finished a thoroughly enjoyable meal that I wanted to share with the masses. Or I just wanted to share it with the 7 people who read this blog. :)

Brooklyn Girl's Penne Arrabiata
SUBMITTED BY:
VAMPYRESKA

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
  • 6 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 (12 ounce) package dried penne pasta
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound thin chicken breast cutlets

DIRECTIONS

  1. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, and saute for a few minutes. Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, and saute for another minute. Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, and add the basil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta, and cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs with a fork. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Stir the garlic powder, salt and pepper into the bread crumbs. Dip chicken cutlets into the egg, then press into the bread crumbs until completely coated.
  4. Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken for about 5 minutes per side, or until the coating is a nice dark brown color.
  5. Remove chicken, and cut into slices. Toss the chicken slices into the sauce, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked penne, simmer for a few more minutes to soak up the flavor, then serve.

Ker's notes: I usually add an additional clove of garlic, and I like it spicy, so if Braden's not eating it with me, I might even add more red pepper. HOWEVER, I recommend that everyone else cut the red pepper flakes at least in half, if not more. You can always add more later on if it's not to your liking. Also, I've only actually made it with chicken twice...it says that it takes 45 minutes to make, but I think that's complete and utter bull if you make the chicken as well, which takes longer. So a lot of times, I'll just make the sauce and pasta--it's still a great meal, AND it doesn't take very long. One more thing, I usually cut the oil amount in half as well; you really don't need as much as the recipe calls for (and the chicken is oily anyway, although really delicious).

2 comments:

Ihrayeep said...

How odd, I thought arrabiata's distinguishing characteristic was that it had bacon in the sauce. Guess not?

Ker said...

Hmm...dunno. This is the only arrabiata recipe I've ever come across, let alone made, so I'm not sure. I defer to you, oh pasta king. :)