Friday, April 25, 2008

Film

I was reading some movie reviews this morning and again noticed some of the reasons why these films were given their particular ratings. Here are some examples: "abundant harsh profanity, crude language, a lot of nudity and sexual dialogue", "some profanity, many nude photographs, violent images, descriptions of torture", "some harsh profanity, some violent images".

As I was noting these reasons, I again wondered about film critics. Now obviously, it's their job to watch these movies and give their personal opinions of them, along with a kind of summary. Now some people might be like, what a sweet job!! And yes, it would be...some of the time. However, think about all the JUNK that goes into your brain, into your short term memory and into your long term memory. Especially with the church's view on immorality, profanity, vulgarity, etc. Now, anyone who has ever seen, read or even heard about something objectionable can tell you that it is often very difficult to erase those words or images from your mind.

I think it's completely false to say that watching every movie that comes out will not affect you personally, and I don't mean in a good way. For every "Enchanted" or "Horton Hears A Who", there are countless R-rated movies. I would not want to fill my head with all of that trash, because that trash will sit there and rot---and you don't have any means to get rid of it.

I should mention that I don't think that watching all of these movies necessarily makes or will make you a bad person, but I would think that it would be awfully hard to uphold your personal and moral standards if filth is such a constant presence in your life. The more you watch, the more desensitized you become...until what you used to consider immoral or objectionable is perfectly acceptable.