Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dessert, Glorious Dessert

Carolyn pointed out in my "Food, Glorious Food" post that I didn't say anything about dessert. I guess it's because I'm not really a dessert person. We only had dessert on FHE nights growing up, and ice cream or popcorn if we asked (getting a yes was a different story).

So yeah, I've never really been that into dessert. But, I do like ice cream and popcorn. Not to mention Baker's Square French Silk Pie. I LOVE FRENCH SILK PIE. Braden still owes me one for my birthday. I will cash in on that when I am craving something sweet. :) It's funny, though, I'm not much of a chocolate person, either. And yes, I am still related to my mother, even though she's a chocoholic and thinks that there is no such thing as too much chocolate. The thing is, I do think "too much chocolate" does exist. And that is sacrilege to some people, I know. But not everyone is totally crazy about chocolate.

Anyway, here is a little dessert quiz fa all ya'll:

What are your favorite three ice cream flavors?
In order: Ben & Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk, Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip and Breyer's Banana Chocolate Chunk. I do like pretty much any brand of MCC, but Breyer's is my fave. Also, the BCC must have been discontinued, because I haven't been able to find it for probably at least five years. It's a shame, because it's reaaaaaaaaaally good. As for Ben & Jerry's, after I visited Ryan in Burlington (home of B & J's, I believe, or close to it) a few years ago, I decided to discover which flavor I liked the best (waiting, of course, for them to go on sale...this project took a while). So, I have tried a lot of them, and Oatmeal Cookie Chunk wins hands down.

Cake or pie? What kind is your favorite?
Pie, all the way. I've never really liked cake, especially with frosting...although, strawberry cake right out of the oven (no frosting) is delicious. Like I mentioned above, I love French Silk Pie, and that's what I always want for my birthday.

What is your favorite cookie?
Hmm...I'm trying to think. I do really like fresh oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Also, I like those chocolate peanut butter oatmeal no-bake cookies. I used to love Nutter Butters when I was a kid.

What is your favorite flavor of popcorn?
Movie Theater Butter. HOWEVER, as good as that can be, I've never really found an equivalent for real movie theater popcorn. I LOVE IT. It's so expensive anymore, though, that I almost never get it, not to mention that movie tickets themselves are so expensive. I wish you could just buy the popcorn without seeing a movie. You could do that at BYU back in the day, and I went and just got some popcorn a couple of times. Mmm.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ice cream flavors:
-Moose tracks or any equivalent.
-Graeter's Raspberry chocolate chip DA BOMB!
-Any ice cream with chunks in it: nuts, chocolate, caramel, toffee, candy, the chunkier the better!

Depends on the Cake or Pie, but if I had to choose, I'd say cake. And I'm really not a cake person. So I'm talking ultra rich cake with ganache filling baby! None of this yucky Kroger birthday cake jive.

Cookie:
I love cookies with chunks baby! Are you sensing a theme? I love white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies. And of course our famous chocolate chip pudding cookies.

I too love extra buttery pop corn but I also really dig caramel pop corn.

I know this wasn't on your quiz, but I also love cheese cake of all varieties. And I really like caramel apples dipped in nuts.

Man, this entire post is making me so crave every one of my favorite sweet treats!

Ker said...

Carolyn, you're the best! At least I know I'll have one comment on my quizzes. :)

Sorry for making you crave everything; I guess I did to you what my mom did to me when she mentioned Danny Boy's.

I am sooo craving movie theater popcorn now.

Oh, and I did a search and realized that my third favorite ice cream is actually called "Banana Fudge Chunk". Hey, it's been years, cut me some slack. :)

Ker said...

Oh, and I like cheesecake, too, but I usually can't have much more than 3/4 of a slice. Some cheesecakes I can't eat at all, like most Cheesecake Factory kinds. I find that restaurant cheesecake in general is too rich for me...actually most desserts in restaurants are usually too rich. I guess it's because when people go out to get dessert, they want DESSERT, BABY.

Ihrayeep said...

You know I wonder if my love affair with pastry has anything to do with that dessert-unfriendly household we grew up in? :-p.

Also, for B&J -- I know it's harder not being right next to the source (literally, in my case) but have you tried their Imagine Whirled Peace? MMMMM.

Ok then --

Ice cream flavors: B&J Sublime Key Lime Pie. Sorrowfully, no longer on the market. But that doesn't stop it from being my all-time favorite, not to mention what got me into B&J in the first place. Cookies & Cream (or, as B&J annoyingly calls it, "Sweet cream and cookies"). And then probably Edy's Peanut Butter Cup.

Pie, without question. There's so much more you can do with it. Oh sorry went all "baker, not consumer" for a moment. But I like eating it better too. You can't make fruit cake. *pause*. Well ok I guess you can, but it's not the same.

Cookie. Hum. I'm usually just straight up for the chocolate chip ones, though Vicki got me some kind of key lime & white chocolate ones for my birthday that were amazing.

Popcorn. Uhhh butter? I'm not really a big popcorn guy to begin with. Give me nachos or pretzels at the theater any day over popcorn, it's too dry.

Ker said...

What about Sandies??? Is this Ryan, or some imposter??

Your pastry fixation *could* be a result of our upbringing, but then I've gone the other way, so...

I actually haven't tried any of your three ice cream flavors...although I may have tried Sweet Cream & Cookies and just don't remember.

I'll get popcorn, you get nachos, and everybody's happy. Then I don't have to share, either. Score! :)

Ihrayeep said...

Well I love sandies but the difference is: you can eat a chocolate chip cookie plain if you have to. A sandie you have to have some kind of drink nearby, they're too dry otherwise.