Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Speaking of Fantasy...

Braden is currently mentioning the song "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey in his post over at A Million Percent Yes, so it remains to be seen who will post first. Anyway, every time I hear that song, I have a specific memory.

Background: It was my freshman year at BYU, and a whole lot of us were at a dance held in the Helaman Halls cafeteria. This was 1996, so the song "Fantasy" had just come out, and while most of us were probably familiar with it, it hadn't yet been overplayed to the point where everyone knew all the lyrics. I don't think many people yet recognized the beginning of it, anyway.

So, if you click on the link to the video posted above, you will note (if you care) that for about 25 seconds, there's a lot of "aaaahhhhhh ooooooh"-ing...

...giving my roommate just enough time to think, "Ooh, a slow song. I'm really, finally going to ask the hottest guy in our ward to dance."

So she did. And she thoroughly enjoyed about 20 seconds of slow dancing before BAM! The actual (fast) song started. At which point, various couples around the room stopped and awkwardly began to dance to a fast song TO each other, all the while pretending, "um, yeah, I knew this was a fast song. Totally!"

SO FUNNY. I mean, I did feel horrible for her...that would so stink! But it was pretty humorous to see so many people doing the same thing. She came back and said something to the effect of, "I had to choose THAT song to ask him!!!" When I told Braden about this, he said that that happened all the time at dances he went to as well.

The moral of the story is: Make darn sure it's a slow song before you ask your crush to dance!!

2 comments:

G.Ellis said...

Not to sound too old but I don't know all the lyrics. In fact, I may not even know the song. Humm a few bars for me and post it as a YouTube.

Braden said...

We could do that... or you could just click on the handy link that Kerry provided for your viewing pleasure.