Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Musings on Luke 21

So I was reading my daily New Testament chapter and two verses caught my eye:

11 "And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven."

I think I was a teenager before I realized that "divers" was really just missing an "e" and didn't mean places where people go diving. You know, divers' places??? Earthquakes in the sea by steep cliffs...that's what I always pictured in my mind as a kid. :)

23 "But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people."

The second verse has been worrisome to me ever since I've been of childbearing age. Seriously, every time I read that, I think to myself, "Gotta get the whole having kids thing out of the way", because I do NOT want to be one of those people with all the woe.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

yes, i've noticed that "with child" verse before. not a very comforting verse! so pretty much if you're pregnant or nursing a little baby, then it sucks to be you when big earthquakes hit and all those famines and such. :-( guess you've got to be prepared.

Gina said...

That's why I'm hanging on to all my fat. It's like personal food storage for all that woe. :)

Gina