Monday, October 6, 2008

Appointments, Appointments

So I think I've mentioned before that I go about once a month to a pregnancy center about 30-35 minutes away.  They give one-on-one parenting education classes for free, and then you get vouchers that you can trade for new or used maternity/baby stuff in their baby boutique.  You also get vouchers for reading parenting pamphlets or doing the homework after each parenting class.  I have my annoyances about the place, but for the most part, I meet with an awesome counselor/teacher, and I don't have to deal with the annoying parts unless I'm having an ultrasound (which I had with both Jenna and Katie).  And, quite honestly, they have saved us so much money on baby things that I doubt we can ever repay them in full.

Anyway, this morning I had to make a couple of adjustments to my schedule this week, because the Portland trip wiped me out, and I'm not really wanting to go travel in the car some more, even if it's a couple of days away that I would have to.  I actually stayed home from the E family gathering last night because I wasn't up to more traveling and sitting.  So...I called the pregnancy center to cancel my appointment for later this week.  Well, apparently, it wasn't even scheduled, even though I specifically told the lady to schedule it a few weeks ago.  I don't know what's going on with that, but whatever; I just didn't want it to look like I blew off the appointment, because 1) it's rude, and 2) you get penalized by not being able to come in for a couple of months.  So, okay, looks like I didn't need to call, although I would have been really upset to go all the way down there in a couple of days and have them tell me I didn't have anything scheduled!  But, luckily, no harm done. 

So the director of the center gets on the phone with me to "explain" the situation (it didn't make sense...), and then she says that we'd better go ahead and schedule my appointment for after I have the baby, since the counselor I always meet with is pretty booked up.  I tell her my due date of October 24th, and the conversation proceeds as follows:

Director: So how about the 30th?
Ker (what the crap???): ...of October??
Director: Yes.
Ker: Um, no way!!  How about a month after the baby's born?
Director: A month?(!!)  Okay...how about November 20th?
Ker: That'll do just fine.

Okay, so I get that maybe some people recover pretty quickly after giving birth...but 6 days???  That just astounded me.  And I could tell that she was taken aback by my desire to wait a month before coming in.  I have several reasons for doing this.
1) I had a very difficult and long postpartum recovery period with Jenna
2) I have absolutely no idea how this labor and delivery will go, let alone the postpartum recovery
3) I want to give myself enough time to rest and adjust to having two kids
4) Let's face it; this time of year is prime time for people to get sick, and I want Katie to build up her immune system a bit before taking her out where tons of snot-nosed kids have been (and there are a lot of little kids in and out of there)! 

I don't know, maybe I'm "extreme", but that's just how I feel about it.  And I do know that I will have to take Katie to certain appointments pretty soon after having her, but that's pretty much doctor's appointments for her health and well-being.  Parenting education, while great and necessary, is not so essential that I'm going to go that soon!

...6 days???

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Gee wiz, what kind of education are they going to give you 6 days after you gave birth? :-)

By the way, good luck with that whole birth thing!

Ker said...

A very funny reply came to mind immediately, but I think I'll censor myself for my other readers. :)

Ker said...

Good luck to you, too!