Thursday, August 2, 2007

pretty spot-on

You Are a Learning Cook

You've got the makings of an excellent cook, and the desire to be one.
But right now, you're just lacking the experience. You couldn't be a top chef yet, but you could be an apprentice.



I have in fact gotten into cooking over the past few weeks. And I find that I like to make something different every night. It's the newness of it all that I like. And I love experimenting with different stuff. When I look at different recipes, I'm finding that a lot of them are similar and have slight variations, so it helps me learn what works and go from there. My favorite site right now is All Recipes. Yeah, it has the annoying "sign up for free, it only takes a minute" thing, but I like that it lets me have my own Recipe Box, where I can save recipes that I'd like to make or have made. You can post reviews and read other people's suggestions for how to improve on a recipe (sorting by most helpful review is nice). It also lets you add recipes to a shopping list, which is a nice feature, but I find that mostly I have a lot of the ingredients and just need one or two things. And I'm learning things everyday, thanks to Google, like what a chutney or roux is. The problem I keep running into is that I realize that I need to start making something, and then I get distracted searching for a good recipe, instead of using what I already have in my Recipe Box. So by the time I actually get something made, it's a lot later than I would like, because of course you have to assume that it takes longer when you're making something for the first time (and it does, trust me). So today, I am going to try to make a sort of menu. But what a recipe site...I get so excited looking at all the yummy stuff I can make!
-Kerry-

1 comment:

Ihrayeep said...

wooo cooking!

I like cooks.com for general recipes (if I can't find something in my assortment of cookbooks), and joyofbaking.com for yum-yums.